Açaí bowls are making the rounds in social media nowadays. People who tried it dubbed these special bowls as “miracle food” that provides some health benefits. Want glowing skin or give your immunity a boost up? Look no further with açaí bowls!
Expert says that you should consider them as your usual snack, not a meal that you have to dig in three times a day. Think of them as a replacement for your favorite ice cream.
So what’s with all the buzz about these special “miracle” bowls? Açaí bowls is a sugary treat that contains about 50g of sugar or more depending on the size. When we think about it, it’s four times more sugar than your regular donut.
The name of the treat comes from the açaí berry. This berry is filled with lots of antioxidants and fiber that helps boost heart health, improves digestion, and makes you feel younger. The best part about this fruit is its relatively low in sugar. However, it’s a rare fruit that you can’t find on your local market since it originally originated in the Amazon.
Now a question comes into mind: How in the world do they make these açaí bowls if they aren’t even available locally in the first place? To answer that question, these berries are often sold in powdered form, which is then consumed by mixing it with something, like in nut milk or frozen fruit. With that said, below is a guide on how to prepare your own açaí bowl.
Creating Your Own Açaí Bowl in Four Easy Steps
- MYOB (Make Your Own Bowl)
- Why order from those expensive stores when you can just make one at the heart of your own home? The best part of making your own is that you can control whatever you want to put inside your bowl.
- Know Your Limits
- When it comes to portion sizes, make only what can fit in a mug. This will help you decrease your sugar intake. You won’t even notice that you only ate a fraction of sugar too!
- Mixing it Up
- You can get unsweetened packs of açaí powder at amazon.com for only $60 (24 packs). Use this pack and mix it with water, not juice. Should you want to use nut milk instead? Then go for it. Mix some steamed beets, leafy greens, or sweet carrots to add some flavor.
- Toppings Galore
- The most challenging part when preparing açaí bowls is probably what to put as its toppings. This is where things can get excessive, and you must be careful about what to top it and ensure that your bowl doesn’t turn into a calorie fest. Opt for fresh fruits and avoid sweetened ones like honey. Try peanut butter instead if you want to make it a tad bit sweeter without hurting your blood sugar levels.
Some Açaí Bowl Recipes for You
- Raw Chocolate Açaí Bowl
- 1/4 cup sprouted almonds
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 frozen açaí berry packet or your own açaí blend
- 1 ripe fresh or frozen banana
- 2 cups of ice
- 1 cup of milk alternative such as coconut, almond, soy, rice, hemp, etc.
- Toppings (optional)
- Coconut oil
- Coconut flakes
- Fresh fruit
- Nuts or seeds
- Raw superfood cereal
- Coconut flakes
- How to Prepare
- Get a blender and place the frozen açaí, banana, chocolate, maca, stevia, almonds, and milk inside.
- Blend the ingredients starting at the lowest speed and work your way up to the highest speed so that the ingredients will blend until it becomes smooth.
- Add ice and turn the blender back up to highest speed. Use a spoon to push the ingredients into the blades until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Once done, 4 lumps will form at the top of the container. Turn the blender off and serve the bowl with optional toppings listed above.
- Açaí Banana Peanut Butter Bowl
- A drizzle of agave nectar
- 1 cup granola
- ½ cups of frozen berries
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 5-ounce package frozen pure açaí
- 1 ½ banana, sliced, divided into one and half
- How to Prepare:
- Mix the açaí, berries, banana, yogurt, agave nectar, and peanut butter inside a blender until it becomes smooth and combined. Once done, scoop half into a bowl.
- Use Granola and layer it on top of the bowl.
- Top the rest of the açaí mixture.
- Top with granola and ½ of banana slices.