Various fad diets are showing up over the years. The carnivore diet (also known as zero-carb diet) is among one of them, and it’s gaining popularity for a while.
The carnivore diet consists of only eating meat, hence the name. People who are following this diet only consume animal-based products such as pork, beef, seafood, and poultry. It’s basically the opposite of a vegan diet so to speak.
The diet gained its popularity thanks to Shawn Baker, a former orthopedic surgeon in New Mexico. He published “The Carnivore Diet” in early 2018. But in September 2017, however, he lost his medical license because of “failure to report adverse action taken by a healthcare entity and incompetence to practice as a licensee.”
Because of this issue, health experts are having doubts about recommending the carnivore diet for those people who want to lose weight.
Carnivore Diet Origins
- Carnivore diet already existed back then and are being practiced by different tribes who lived in the colder parts of the world such as Eskimos and the Inuit. These people only consume meat-only products with little to no plant-based products at all.
- They also believe that this diet can help you feel full for longer while providing you with essential nutrients at the same time. Thus, helping you lose weight and boosts muscle buildup.
- Lastly, it’s a simple diet to begin with; that’s why more and more people opt for it because of its easy rules and guidelines. You only have to eat meat and that’s all to it!
Is It Healthy?
- To be honest, meat isn’t bad for our health. Going on an all-meat diet can give us essential vitamins and nutrients such as zinc, iron, vitamin B12, and of course, protein. How much more when you consume lean meat, which helps you with weight loss and improves heart health.
- Carnivore diet is also said to heal autoimmune diseases. This is because once you get rid of any food intolerances, people who have the disease will begin to feel relief. Fat is also considered as “brain food”, which helps the brain to perform better and brightens your mood.
- But the truth is, following a carnivore diet isn’t absolutely necessary to experience such good results. Some said that these results might be coming from the diet itself or from eliminating consuming too much processed
- However, following the carnivore diet isn’t always birds and butterflies in your stomach. One of the negative aspects of the carnivore diet is that you’re also preventing yourself from getting essential vitamins and minerals. Not to mention, antioxidants and fiber as well. Lack of plant-based foods will result in various cardiovascular diseases that can negatively affect your overall health. Here are more negative side effects when following the carnivore diet.
- Constipation (lack of fiber)
- Low energy levels (lack of glucose)
- Kidney overtaxing
- Research also shows that plant-based foods provide more nutrients which can benefit your health and also increases your lifespan as well.
The Difference Between Carnivore, Keto, & Paleo Diets
- Carnivore and Keto Diet are a bit similar. It’s just like the former is an extreme version of the latter because it heavily relies on meat only. The Keto diet, on the other hand, limits your carb intake but doesn’t have any special rules to do so. Carnivore diet is one of the stricter ones that even coconut milk or any special kinds of veggies and nuts are prohibited (which isn’t the case at all for Keto diet).
- Meanwhile, the Paleo diet supports eating certain It also encourages you to eat more veggies and fiber, as well as healthy fats too. When you’re given a chance to choose between the three, the Paleo diet is definitely the right choice you should go with.
- To sum it all up, the carnivore diet is an unhealthy mess that you want to avoid. If I were you, I would opt for the Paleo diet any day. Carbs aren’t your enemy, they are in fact, the primary source of energy for your brain which also provides essential nutrients as well. Following a very restrictive diet such as the carnivore diet won’t do you any good.
People who exercise a lot tend to be happier than those who don’t. In fact, even a short 10-minute exercise have a huge short-term impact on the hippocampus, let alone a long-term one.
A study conducted by the JAMA Psychiatry journal shows that exercise is one way to prevent depression. However, people that have the illness are still pretty inactive, how much more for those who don’t have it.
In the past year, around 66% of men and 58% of women over the age of 19 and above are active in doing physical activity. While being great in numbers, there’s still more room to do better than that. With that said, here are eight ways how exercise can make yourself happier.
- De-stresses Your Mind and Body
- Ever heard of “runner’s high”? It’s a term for that feeling of euphoria each time you exercise. Physical activity can, in fact, make you feel good as it releases neurotransmitters in the brain that can make you active and happy at the same time.
- Not only that, but these endorphins produced by doing physical activity can also relieve stress. Stress is everywhere and comes in different forms, be it from human contact or the things around us. That’s why exercise is very important to de-stress your mind and body.
- Exercise also helps you to relax more effectively. This is important for both your mental and physical health, making it easier for you to unwind and let loose for a while.
- Helps Treat Depression
- Depression is one of the most common mental illness that’s experienced by many. Despite that, it is also easily treatable by exercise too. Exercise is one of the most successful and effective treatments to prevent depression.
- A study conducted by various researchers shows that regularly doing physical activity is equivalent to certain antidepressant drugs that are commonly used to cure depression. In fact, exercise acts as a natural antidepressant that can lower the symptoms of depression.
- People suffering from depression have low levels of serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. But by doing regular exercises, all these feel-good chemicals will be back in their normal state. These feel-good chemicals are responsible for stimulating your brain to give you that euphoric feeling. Studies show that doing regularly exercises cuts depression rate from 16.3% down to 8.3%.
- Lowers Anxiety
- Aside from depression, anxiety is also a common mental illness that’s more prominent in women. Exercise reduces muscle tension, lowers blood pressure and heart rates, and increases alpha waves in the brain to make you easily enter the relaxed state of mind.
- With that said, exercise is indeed an effective anxiety reliever. With lots of exercises around, aerobic exercise is the one that will help ease anxiety that lasts for up to three months.
- Eliminates Bad Mood Quick
- Having a bad day? Turn the tables around by doing exercises. Physical activity helps you improve your mood faster compared to other “relaxation” techniques that have little to no effect at all.
- Exercise improved your clarity and efficiency, which allows you to think more clearly. Based on a study conducted back in 2001, exercise can indeed turn your grumpy mood into a lively one easily and quickly. So if ever you’re having a bad day, get up and grab your gear and start exercising.
- Boosts Your Self-Esteem
- Feeling down? Think that you’re not good enough for anybody? Well time to shake that body by exercising. Exercise can improve your intuition, creativity, and overall gives you a more positive and stronger enthusiasm in life.
- Self-esteem problems usually come from how you look at yourself, especially in your body shape. People tend to be ashamed because they don’t look slender and sexy enough, making them feel like an outcast from all the “slim” people out there.
- However, when you start exercising, you will start to feel better about how you see yourself. Not only physically, but also mentally. You will start to appreciate your body as you go along the way to the road of fitness.
- Improves Your Cognitive Ability
- Aerobic exercise helps regulate oxygen flow to the brain, thus decreasing the chance of brain cell loss. This results in an increase in your cognitive performance, which enables you to think clearly and efficiently before and after every workout.
- Doing physical activity helps improve focus, which helps you plan and think better. It also boosts your social health which enables you to communicate well with another person. This works much better if you have a workout buddy with you.
- Regularly doing exercises gives your IQ score a boost up too, which allows you to perform better in school or at work. So what are you waiting for? Start doing exercises today!
- Helps Strengthen Relationships
- Relationship issues are inevitable. But with exercise, you can strengthen your bond with one another whatever type of relationship is that. Couples who exercise together is proven to have a healthier and happier connection than those who don’t.
- Studies show that working out with your partner can increase physical gains especially when both of you work together as a team. This leads to a happier and healthy relationship that benefits both of you.
- Not only that, but exercise also increases sexual intimacy and will lead to a healthier sex life for couples. Not just for couples, exercise can strengthen the bond for family relationships too. So if you’re a parent, encourage your teens to do exercises with you. You will then notice an improvement in your relationship with them.
- Helps You Cope Up with A Range of Difficult Emotions
- Emotions such as grief, heartache, loss, and fear can be treated with the help of exercise. This is because exercise boosts your serotonin levels that are responsible for relieving these range of difficult emotions.
- Exercise also works as a medication to improve and normalize your neurotransmitter levels to make you feel happy and more alive again. Once you engage in physical activity, it’ll increase your endorphin and serotonin levels to make you feel better and to shove away bad emotions that reside in your mind.
- Are you having difficulty motivating yourself to do physical activity? Tell yourself to move your body! Repeat this until you start to feel like doing it! Exercise is one way to distract yourself away from these negative emotions and makes you focus on your well-being, thus making you a positive person overall.